1986 is a Nintendo Entertaiment System (NES) emulator for Microsoft
Windows 32 bit (9x/NT/XP) plataform.
- The main goal of the project is self-improvement and learning,
however, achieving a quality level emulation is also a big motivation
to keep this going on.
- This project has been going on for quite some time now, probably
since 2004, but in the mean time, i re-started it one too many
times, and i started several other now defunct emulator projects.
- 1986p is closed source, and in the short future there is no
intention to change that. Mostly because the NES system is already
very well documented, with several open-source emulators and
- This program uses SDL for graphics, and interrupts for input.
The core cpu uses the n6502 emulator from Bloodlust software,
however i am developing my own 6502 core emulation, which is
slowing making its way into the main program. Also the Darcnes
sources were used for reference, but not a single line was copied
- Compatibility is not a priority at this point, so there´s
few games that actually runs right now. Since no actual mapper
is emulated. Mapper #0 is currently the only supported one.
However once this mapper emulation level is at acceptable quality,
more will be added.
- This webpage has been done entirely by me, the little 'hard
hat' image is from Megaman III and is property of Capcom. The
rest is inpired on the old sites that used to be on a site called
I don´t plan on changing it soon.
- Why 1986 ? Well, because i believe it was the prime of 80's,
pretty much. It was the year of Top Gun and Transformers movies
releases, aswell as time when hairmetal and spandex ruled the
world. More importantly, it was one of the most sucessfull years
for the NES and the golden age of 8 bits. Thus this is Project
- Last, but not least, please don´t even bother to send
a e-mail, to ask for the sources, to ask for roms or to say
that game X is not supported. However i am interested in bug
reports and construtive criticsm, also i am very easy going